Wednesday 8 May 2013

So I Read Saucer Country: Run


A 250 word (or less) review of Saucer Country Volume 1
By Paul Cornell, Ryan Kelly, Jimmy Braxton, and Goran Sudzuka, Vertigo Comics


My biggest childhood fear was aliens visiting earth and abducting people. I used to lay awake in bed staring out the window imagining creative and worrying providence for all the moving lights in the sky. ET scared the shit out of me and I can't watch that creepy little space monster to this day. So reading Saucer Country was a fraught decision for me. Saucer Country is a comic exploring the mythology/culture/phenomenon of alien abductions. This exploration is built into a narrative about Arcadia Alvarado, the Governer of New Mexico who has an alien abduction experience just before announcing her candidacy for President of the United States. To determine the truth of what happened to her she recruits the assistance of her Chief of Staff, her dubious campaign manager, a UFO researcher of questionable sanity, and her fellow abductee and ex-husband. Saucer Country is a starkly mature, informative, exciting and creepy comic that maintains its central mystery with a perfect balance of belief, skepticism, and ambiguity. It's a solidly good book. I was actually somewhat surprised by it; Cornell's superhero work usually has a trademark sense of fun and goofiness about it that really isn't present in Saucer Country's mature and dark landscape. I was also impressed by the strength of Kelly's pencils: the acting and storytelling chops on display in this comic are incredible. Saucer Country is really a fantastically crafted comic. The adult me enjoyed the comic immensely and the 12-year-old boy in me was terrified by it. 

Word count: 250

No comments:

Post a Comment